Othuriel; and other poems

Othuriel; and other poems - Thomas Aird Thomas Aird is quite a competent minor poet - handles the metres well - and I've always liked a bit of narrative poetry. So I rather enjoyed this collection, although some of his stuff got a bit too metaphysical for my liking. When he stuck to historical subjects (albeit with biblical or Holy Land overtones), like the Fall of Jerusalem, which is the setting for the title poem, he kept my interest better. I remember remarking as I read that the conventional love interest didn't seem to be inspirational for him, but he invested a great deal of emotion in parent-child bonds (both good and bad), not just in the juxtaposed pieces "A Father's Curse" and "A Mother's Blessing", but throughout the title piece, and the long poem about Nebuchadnezzar, the King who became a wild man and was supplanted by his son.

Here's the Enclopaedia Britannica (1911) entry on him, for future reference:

AIRD, Thomas (1802 - 1876), Scottish poet, was born at Bowden, Roxburghshire, on the 28th of August 1802. He was educated at Edinburgh University, where he made the acquaintance of Carlyle and James Hogg, and he decided to devote himself to literary work. He published Marizoufie, a Tragedy, with other Poems (1826), a volume of essays, and a long narrative poem in several cantos, The Captive of Fez (1830). For a year he edited the Edinburgh Weekly Journal, and for twenty-eight years the Dumfriesshire and Galloway Herald. In 1848 he published a collected edition of his poems, which met with much favour. Carlyle said that he found in them "a healthy breath as of mountain breezes." Among Aird’s other friends were De Quincey, Lockhart, Stanley (afterwards dean of Westminster) and Motherwell. He died at Dumfries on the 25th of April 1876.