Hope-Temple, or Unpagan'd-Pantheon : a humorous poetical tale

Hope-Temple, or Unpagan'd-Pantheon : a humorous poetical tale - Andrew Aird I found most of this effusion simply incomprehensible; but what I could decode was, I thought, decidedly mean-spirited. It helped that the copy I read (from York University Library) had pasted in the back an obituary clipping from The Paisley Magazine, February 1828 (shortly after John Love, the subject of the poem) passed away. Otherwise I would not have understood Aird's references to Love's idiosyncrasy, his wealth (which Aird makes clear he feels is undeserved), his great fondness for his animals, including a bear who lived at the gardens - Hope Temple - he built, and his unmarried state (Aird refers to him as a eunuch).

I found online the text of one Robert Brown's Paisley Poets, with brief memoirs of them, and selections from their poetry. He has a couple of pages, though very little information, on Aird, whose primary work was apparently as a joiner, but he does remark of "Hope-Temple" that it is "a very poor poem." Agreed, Mr. Brown.