Tim Doolan, the Irish Emigrant, by the Author of 'Mick Tracy'.

Tim Doolan, the Irish Emigrant, by the Author of 'Mick Tracy'. - W.A.C. I read this in the 1869 London edition (S.W. Partridge). Like another volume sitting next to it on the university library's shelves, Florence Egerton, this is an evangelical novel. However, it's a much better one: there are solid stretches of entertaining incident between the preachy bits. I found myself wondering how much Doolan's story was the author's own. The incidents of Tim's plot seemed to merge well with the author's opinions. In brief, Tim is an Irish Catholic who is converted to evangelical Protestantism, is run out of his home town in Ireland for same, emigrates to "Ameriky" with his wife and family (a large part of the first half of the book is a detailed narrative of the voyage), and eventually, finding certain aspects of American life and society not to his liking, ends up in Upper Canada, which he likes much better, with his entire extended family. The author's upper-class characters are a bit pallid, but his peasant stock are full of character and Irishisms. For every time I shook my head or put the book aside in weariness, I chuckled quietly another. And that's not bad for a narrative separated from me by a century and a half and the whole wide world of personal philosophy.

The description of settling in Canada is worth the whole exercise, in my opinion.