Oscar Wilde and a Death of No Importance: A Mystery

Oscar Wilde and a Death of No Importance: A Mystery - Gyles Brandreth This is the first in the "Oscar Wilde and..." series, and I think I enjoyed it even more than the only other one I have read so far. It has the freshness of the first go-round at a marvellous new idea - and I must admit that the combination of Wildean with Sherlockean antics is a splendid one. This book tackles the demi-monde of 1889 homosexual London fairly head-on, though with the kind of restraint that I'm sure Wilde, being a gentleman, would have appreciated. I had the murderer(s) pegged by about half-way through, but certainly had not fully worked out the whys and wherefores. The depiction of Constance Wilde was interesting, because it was so little interesting, in a way - she seemed a kind of saint, put into sharp contrast with another woman - I will try not to make this a spoiler - who made a very different set of choices in relation to a man who loved men.

Looking forward to the rest in this series; I do hope the plan of nine novels will be played out; I think I've seen three so far.