Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock - Vonda N. McIntyre, Harve Bennett [These notes were made in 1984:]. Based on the screenplay by Harvé Bennett. I read this after I saw the movie, so, as with STII, I had the experience of the story being added to, not stripped away. McIntyre has a way with these ST characters, and the details she adds tend to be both convincing and exciting. Sulu, for instance, is in line for the captaincy of the new Excelsior, and that adds great meaning to his sacrifice for the sake of Spock and Enterprise unity. McIntyre rejects some of the innuendos of the script - the female Klingon commander about to be blown up sends her love - but only because the other Klingon commander by doing so saves the honour of her family. This is in marked contrast to the vulgarly sexual way the scene was played in the movie. Speaking of sex, I was hoping for enlightenment on just what went on between Saavik and the teen-age Spock down on Genesis, but perhaps McIntyre was uncertain herself or perhaps she was uneasy about the kind of father-daughter hints she was throwing out in the last novel. In any case, the field is open for anything to happen in STIV!