Margot Fonteyn: Autobiography

Margot Fonteyn: Autobiography - Margot Fonteyn Fonteyn's style is easy and secure, with a touch of naiveté which is at time beguiling but at times markedly self-conscious. She is candid about her little faults, but at times she relates events which suggest that she's actually a lot scrappier than she believes herself to be. The two most interesting facets of her life come towards the end: her marriage to Panamanian dictator Tito (Roberto) Arias, and he rpartnership with Nureyev. The scenes with the former often read like a bad spy novel, and I must admit I began to find them tedious, for she eeschews any sortof personal analysis of her husband - nor does she let us very close to her own feelings when major things (like the assassination attmept which left Tito paralyzed) happened. The same with Nureyev, of whom, however, she tells some very funny sotires. Depite one's expectation that they'd move in different circles, Fonteyn & Nureyev seem to have hit the town quite often together, and Margot explains somewhat ingenuously that this odes not mean in the least that she and Rudi were romantically involved! (In fact, she manages to describe several wild parties without once mentioning Nureyev's homosexuality!) It seems to have been a very interesting life happening to what appears to be - but perhaps wasn't - a very ordinary person. [These notes were made in 1984:].