Silent in the Sanctuary

Silent in the Sanctuary - Deanna Raybourn Our first-person narrator and part-time detective is an independent young Victorian woman of ample means in a large and eccentric family. I read this book, apparently the second in a series, over the course of a couple of evenings when I was stuck for reasons unspeakable in a hotel room by myself with a TV that wouldn't turn on and not even my cat for company. So the fact that Raybourn's book, picked at random from a drugstore rack, successfully held my attention, is actually no small praise.

Nothing terribly deep here; there's an ongoing UST between Lady Julia and the principal detective, a slightly surly, slightly complicated chap named Nicholas Brisbane. The plot was complicated enough to keep me interested (I am not one who plays "beat the author" obsessively; I am content to register the clues and allow the explanations to play out). And Julia's slightly insane brothers provoked the occasional smile, as I am sure was their function.

At some point, I'm sure I'll pick up the first in the series (and I believe there's a third as well), and spend a pleasant hour or two in consequence.