The Girl Who Played With Fire

The Girl Who Played With Fire - Stieg Larsson I read this while on a cruise, and I swear I saw at least a dozen other copies in the hands of my fellow-passengers! This series truly is a global phenomenon. It's also decidedly on the physically violent side - one can see the attraction for the movies - so it's not one that I'd recommend to my mother. I was feeling increasingly discomfited by the anti-social tendencies of the anti-heroine, Lisbeth Salander, so it was reassuring not only to get her backstory, but also to see that Blomquist, our touchstone, has grave reservations about her tendency to violence in the cause of her own highly idiosyncratic and passionate personal sense of ethics.

I think people will remember this one because of the villainous giant who is impervious to physical pain (a double-edged sword, it turns out) and because Salandar ends up buried alive.

I look forward to reading the third instalment, but I am not so besotted with the series that I cannot wait for the paperback. Should be soon.